By Eusebio Tanicala, Ph.D.
Mr. Hutto (Christian) and Mr. El Dareer (Muslim) met and debated the proposition: Jesus Christ is the Son of God. A copy of this discussion was sent to me via internet by brother Mike Hildreth of Texas. Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God is the creed of Christendom. So every Christian should be able to affirm this proposition. Bible believers might encounter this same issue so I give some hints based on my reading of the Qur’an and some books by Islam apologists.
Foremost basis of premises are Qur’anic passages that declare Islam’s recognition of the Gospel as a message originating from God. Lay down this fact based on the following Qur’anic passages: Surah 3:3, Surah 16:43; Surah 29:27; Surah 12:111; Surah 29:46, 47; Surah 6:115 and Surah 16:102.
Says Surah 3:3, “It is He Who has sent down the Book (the Qur’an) to you (Muhammad) with truth confirming what came before it. And He sent down the Torah and the Gospel…” (Translation by Al-Hilai and Kahan). Also we find this in Surah 29:27, “And We bestowed on Him (Abraham) Isaac and Jacob, and ordained among his offspring Prophethood and the Book (i.e. the Torah (to Moses), the Gospel (to Jesus), the Qur’an (to Muhammad…”
Here are some questions I suggest you press upon Muslim teachers who deny that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
- The Qur’an and Muslims consider the Gospel as a true message from God, and in the Gospel account of Matthew 3:17; 17:5; Mark 1:11; and Luke 3:21-22 God declared with a voice from heaven saying and referring to Jesus as the Son of God. Are you aware that you contradict what you teach?
- The Qur’an and Muslims consider Jesus Christ as a prophet of God and you teach that the Gospel is a true message from God, in the Gospel account of Matthew 26:64 Jesus Himself acknowledged that He is the Christ, the Son of God. Are you aware that you contradict what you teach?
- The Qur’an and Muslims consider the Angel Gabriel as God’s messenger and you teach that the Gospel is a true message from God, in the Gospel account of Luke 1:26, 32 & 35 the Angel Gabriel declared to Mary that the Jesus who will be born to her is called the “Son of the Highest” “Holy One” and is called “Son of God.” Are you aware that you contradict what you teach?
- The Gospel teaches that the Angel Gabriel recognized Jesus Christ is the Son of God, but the Qur’an which came some 500 years later teaches that the Angel Gabriel gave Muhammad your book the Qur’an which declares that Jesus Christ is NOT the Son of God, are you aware that Islam makes the Angel Gabriel an inconsistent messenger?
- The Qur’an and Muslims consider John the Baptist a true prophet of God, and in the Gospel account of John 1:34, John the Baptist declared that Jesus is the Son of God. Are you aware that you contradict what you teach?
- The Qur’an and Muslims recognize the Gospel as a message from God which was originally written in Greek as believed by scholars, are you aware that the Gospel definition of “Begotten Son” according to Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the N.T., page 417, is “special, unique and no equal” and does not refer to producing a child through sexual relation?